This three-storey house of 137mē is mainly built of stone, structurally sound requiring only cosmetic improvements.
The ground floor (21,50mē) is currently used as a log store but would have the potential for extra accommodation or an office once renovated.
Via external stairs one is coming up to the first floor with its large front terrace and the entrance to the house. This level consists of a large open plan lounge kitchen and dining area, with an inner lobby currently being used as an office, and a bathroom. The house flooring is ceramic tiles throughout and the ceiling is timber clad, creating very good insulation as well as being visually pleasing. There is a feature chimney breast which houses a log burning stove, providing heating throughout this floor and also a cooking facility.
Outside steps lead to second floor with the master bedroom and second bedroom. The master bedroom has a small balcony with exceptional views and en suite facility. This room is also gently warmed by the hidden chimney from the log burner below.The second bedroom also has the infra structure installed to add en suite facilities at a later date. Both of these bedrooms have air-conditioning. Bedroom three has internal staircase access from the first floor lobby.
Properties such as this within a village boundary and close to village facilities are becoming rare and this is an ideal opportunity for purchasers who want to be part of Cretan living to enjoy real Crete and the hospitality of the village.
The house comes complete with all household furniture, white goods and soft furnishings.
The picturesque traditional village of Kournas is 8km from the seaside resort of Georgioupolis and about 4km from the famous Lake of Kournas. While the lake is a kind of touristy, Kournas village is completely unaffected by tourism and takes visitors on a journey back in time. The old houses, the village square, the pottery workshop opposite the large kafenio and tavern "Kali Kardia", with its wonderful salads and delicious meat, are the first things you will notice in the village.
The village has 500 inhabitants and lies at an altitude of 200m in the foothills of Mount Dafnomadara (1.680m). Kournas prospered from the 16th century onwards and is linked to many battles for freedom from the Turks. It was the seat of the Revolutionary Government in the rising of 1866 and the seat of the Cretan General Assembly in 1897.
The village of Kournas lacks particular facilities for tourists, but nearby Georgioupolis offers everything you might need, and just a 4km drive downhill is the village of Kavros, popular place for vacation and permanent housing, where one will find whatever one needs, such as supermarkets, shops, gas stations, pharmacies, taverns and kafenia/bars.
In the village of Kournas is the church of Ag. Georgios, built in Byzantine times, with architectural features added later during the Venetian period. The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios in Kournas was built shortly before 1.200AD.
Apart from the feast of St George, a great festival is also held in Kournas on 29th August, in honour of St John the Baptist. There is yet another festival on 16th August, organized by the Kournas Cultural Association.
Between the village and the lake of Kournas is a very pretty cave, Kournas Cave, which offers a wonderful view of the lake. The cave is relatively small, only 35m deep, but it contains impressive stalactites and stalagmites. If you go in the afternoon, the cave is dark but the little light coming in makes it truly spectacular.