|The traditional character, as well as, the Venetian nobility is reflected via an entirety of characteristics which are visible and sound even from the exterior surface of the buildings, such as the traditional balconies surrounded by coloured strokes of the brush and the sweet smell of flowers.
The bar with a capacity of 90 people is allocated on the ground and first floor of the building. This placement is characterized unique, of incomparable beauty and elegance, just by getting a sight of the ceiling which is made of cypresses trucks and coloured glass of specific process with alternating lighting which creates an impressive and romantic atmosphere. A wide variety of additional elements such as musical instruments -antiques or modern ones- gramophones, trumpets, saxophones and other objects testify the quality and the high level elegance of the perfect dream. The bar opens its doors to its loyal clientele in the beginning of October every year until the middle of May.
The boutique-hotel for sale is famous for honeymooners due to its romantic luxuriousness, and operates now since three (3) years all-year-round. The suites are priced at 80-100 Euros/day during the low season and 120-140 Euros/day during the high season.
The three (3) noble suites spread over three (3) levels and do have a separate entrance. Each floor comprises a suite of 50m² fitted with fully equipped kitchen, air-condition, cable TV, and DVD player.
The synthesis of luxuriousness consists of elements of particular elegance such as the unique wall style in tints of earth, the trunks of cypresses, the large old-fashioned four-poster beds, original antique, with white embroidered curtains and sheets, the fireplace in the sitting-room, luxurious in-suite bathroom with Jacuzzi.
As for the suites here more dreamful details, of the luxurious materials and objects completing the magnificence of elegance and prestige of the suites/apartments: musical instruments, stylish antique furniture and luxurious fabrics, all of which raise an exquisite spell stemmed from the epoch of Romans. All the beds are 100year old antiques, the mattresses are anatomical, silk fabrics, lights with Swarovski, and goose feather quilts, hand embroidered linens. The furniture are from massif wood, the sofas turn into bed, the internal walls of the whole building are painted according to artistic technique.
The business has gained in the years
- 2009 - 300.000 Euros - 210.000 Euros through the bar and 90.000 Euros through bookings
- 2010 - 320.000 Euros - 200.000 Euros through the bar and 120.000 Euros through bookings
Guests are coming mainly from Greece, Europe and the United States who are booking directly through the internet or are companies' representatives.
The annual expenses are currently at 65.000 Euros and include utility bills, maintenance, wage costs and ancillary wage costs for the employees (1 barman, 1 DJ, 1 waiter, 1 Buffet Attendant for the weekends and 1 maid).
The net income is in average around 255.000 Euros, thus the depreciation will be succeeded within 4 years.
Located just 200m from the famous municipal market and 500m from the Etz Hayyim Synagogue, in the Chania Old Town, which is regarded as one of the nicest old towns of Greece and it is the most wonderful part of the city.
The "Old Town" consists of the old Venetian harbour and the small Venetian blocks located behind the harbour; it is characterized by narrow and picturesque alleys - similar to an enchanting labyrinth - full of life, and the plentiful remaining Venetian and Turkish buildings. The Lighthouse, the Fortress of Firka, the Mosque of Kioutsouk Hasan, the Great Arsenali and the Neoria have become landmarks of the city. Most of the buildings are rejuvenated and they compose a puzzle of contemporary, Venetian and Turkish architecture; they are also a 'living' exhibition of the city's history. Today they work as shops, taverns, cafes and touristic accommodations.
The most famous part of the Old Town is the lively round waterfront along the Venetian harbour, which is full of small hotels, cafes, restaurants, taverns and bars. The Lighthouse at the end of the harbour is a landmark of Chania.
Inside the "Old town" there are various districts. The Daliani district was a place where Turks used to live and the Dominican church of Saint Nicolas still remains. The Kasteli district used to be a noble district, where many mansions were located in the past. At the end of its central road, the "Sintrivani" square is located, where the gentlemen were gathered for coffee, walking or political conversation. Today this area is regarded as the entrance to the old town and it is full of cafes, restaurants and small bars. In that district it is also located the mosque of Hasan pasha. The "Akti Kountourioti" is a place with local shops, where many young and older people gathered for entertainment in the bars and restaurants nearby. There is also the Topana district which is named that way because of the cannons (topia) that the Turks had placed there.
One of the monuments which reflect the Venetian heritage of Chania is the Fortress of Firka. It is located at the end of the town's pier, to the seashore and it was part of a defensive system which begun in 1538 by the engineer Michele Sanmichele, who also designed Herakleio's defenses. The fort is still known with its Turkish name, Firca (Firka = barracks). A thick chain from Firka to the base of the light-house closed the harbour in case of siege.
The Venetians used to imprison in this castle those Cretans who were sentenced to death. The Greek flag was raised on the Fortress of Firca in 1913, in the presence of king Constantine and the well known politician from Chania, Eleftherio Venizelo, in order to declare the Cretan union with the rest of Greece. This event was very important for the island, because it inaugurated a brave new age for the history of Crete.
Nowadays, the first building in the castle, which has been restored, hosts the Naval Museum. Here there are exhibited different types of cannon, navigation equipment, ship models, portraits and even a collection of rare shells. One important exhibit in the museum, apart from the navy exhibits, are the detailed Marquette of Chania like it was in the 17th century, together with the port and the Venetian dockyard, which has been presented until today.
Firka's wonderful view to the sea is offered for a variety of cultural events. Concerts of Greek music from local artists along with various theatrical plays, are taking place in the Fortress during summer.
The venetian Lighthouse
The Lighthouse which is built at the far end of the Venetian harbour imposes the view of the old Town. It was built in 1570 and it was reconstructed in 1830. During the last decades it has become one of the landmarks of the Venetian harbour.
The lighthouse was built during the period that the Venetian harbour was built. The lighthouse started to decay during the turkish occupation. After 1830 , when England handed Crete to Egypt, the lighthouse was reconstructed on its original base. New restorations took place in 2005-2006.
The visitors of the Chania old town can enjoy a short walk perimetrically of the breakwater to reach the Lighthouse. There is a lovely cafe bar a few meters from the Lighthouse with great sunset views.
The mosque of Kioutsouk Hassan is the only mosque preserved in the city and dates back to the second half of the 17th century. It was built in honour of Kioutsouk Hassan, the first garrison commander of Chania and there used to be a one-roomed temple in its current position. The temple Kioutsouk (small) Hassan or Giali Tzamissi (seaside mosque) was the work of an Armenian architect, who had constructed another similar mosque in Spaniako, a village in Selino county. The mosque stopped operating in 1923.
Today it is restored but the small and picturesque minaret next to it was demolished in 1920 (according to other sources in 1939). It has been occasionally used as an Archaeological Museum of Chania, a storehouse, a museum of folklore art and an Information Office of the Greek National Tourism Organisation (GNTO), while recently it is used as an event and exhibition hall.
In the great Arsenali and the Neoria the ships of the powerful Venetian fleet were repaired during the winter time. The south complex of the Neoria was completed in 1599, with the construction of 17 Neoria. In 1607 the construction of five more Neoria began on the eastern basin of the harbour. However, only two of them were ever completed.
Today 7 Neoria out of the 17 still survive. In their original form they were open on the side of the sea. The ceilings are arched, and they are connected with arched openings of the same thickness as the walls.
The great Arsenali
This is the last and biggest building on the west side of a complex of 17 shipyards. The construction of the Arsenali began in 1585 by the Commissioner General Alvise Grimani. Today it is the home of the Mediterranean Centre of Architecture and regular events and exhibitions are hosted there.
Halidon Street - The Orthodox Church of the three Martyrs
It is the most recognizable street of Chania which leads to the entrance of the old harbour. There are numerous shops and fast foods along this road. In the middle of the road down to the harbour, on your right hand side, you will see Chania's cathedral church of the Three Martyrs, built on the east part of a lovely square with taverns, cafes and shops.
Across from the cathedral there is the Catholic Church. In its courtyard there is the entrance to the Cretan Folk Museum. Right next door there is the renovated church of St Francis, one of the most impressive Venetian churches of Crete. It consists of a temple and two closed courtyards, and it dates back to the 14th Century. Nowadays it houses Chania's archaeological museum, well worth a visit to see the ceramics, inscribed tablets, glassware and mosaics recovered from local excavation work.