Four hundred and twenty one (421) beaches and Nine (9) Marina won this year's Quality Award "Blue Flags" .
The awarded beaches and marinas with "Blue Flag" for the year 2010, were announced by the Greek Society for the Protection of Nature (EEPF), the Coordinator of International Program "Blue Flag" in our country and the sponsors of the program, Proton Bank and Group Alapis. With 421 award-winning beaches, Greece is placed 2nd amongst 41 countries. Overall, the International Jury awarded 2884 beaches and 627 marinas.
Criteria of the International Program are summarized in the following four categories:
Clean sea and coast
- Quality of bathing waters that is confirmed by random checks carried out two times a month during the bathing season (1 / 6 - 31/10) inaccredited laboratories, with the maximum distance between two samples, 17 days. Results at http://iason.minenv.gr
- Do not discharge into the area of industrial and municipal wastewater without proper treatment.
- Adequate litter bins which are emptied regularly.
- Continuous, periodic cleaning of the beach from litter, cigarette butts, etc.
- Continuous information of the public about the quality of bathing waters, by posting the results of microbiological tests on the bulletin board of the coast.
- Action plans to deal with marine pollution on the accident, with direct information of the public.
- Ban on movement of vehicles and motorbikes on the coast.
- Free camping is forbidden.
- Adequate sanitary facilities with controlled sewerage system.
Security of the visitors
- Trained lifeguards on duty, in accordance with the Ministry of Merchant Marine, or direct access to phone for an emergency, rescue and first aid supplies.
- Offer services for people with special needs (SEN).
Protection of nature and environmental awareness
- Printed information and guidance behavior on the coast and areas with sensitive natural environment, flora and fauna in the coastal zone.
- Reference to the organization of activities to the coast manager, actively promoting its interest in the natural environment of the coast and the need to be protected
source : apn.gr